Burning feet - update

Dr. Holodniy, You have very kindly answered a few posting from me regarding an encounter I had almost a year and a half ago in Malawi. As you recall I tested negative on numerous antibody tests through 12 months and have not been tested since. However I have experienced a severe constant headache, fatigue, poor sleep habits from the 8th month after my possible exposure and for the last 2 months severe burning and tingling pains in my feet particularly on the soles. I was checked out by my ID specialist and she checked my neurological function (with rubber hammer, toothpick, tuning fork, etc) and it was OK. She also retested me for Lyme as I'd had a tick bite last summer but the result was negative. She feels that these symptoms are all due to anxiety and it certainly seems like the most likely explanation. I'm curious if you have ever come across someone with symptoms of burning feet which were due to anxiety - I guess I'm still very worried that I have a hiv related neuropathy as I'm normally a very healthy guy. Does this burning feet phenomenon occur with hiv and if so should there be other symptoms along with them? Are there any other possible explanations that occur to you based on your clinical experience that could account for my symptoms? Once again I'd like to thank you for your kindness in answering my previous postings. The volume of postings you have been dealing with in recent times is huge which is an indication of the tremendous service you are providing and your selflessness in giving so much of your time to do so. Take care of yourself!

Thanks for the kudos. The symptoms you describe would be unusual in early HIV infection, and really only occur with late stage disease, or due to HIV specific medications. Stress and anxiety can create a variety of real or perceived symptoms of differing severity. MH

42 Hour Med Guy - p24 update
PCR & Elisa at 4 months