Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Occ. Exposure to Sexual Fluids Guy Update
May 28, 1999

Hi Doc, Thanks for answering my question on April 26th. I was the clinic worker who may have been exposed to vaginal secretions through acne on my neck. You told me that my exposure was very low risk and I have to say it made a huge difference in my life. I have one more question for you. I was really hoping you could answer it. It has been 6 weeks since the incident and I have not had any symptoms at all, despite monitoring my body quite closely for this period of time. The only thing remotely close to a symptom would be tiny little bumps (smaller than the size of a pea - and not all are circular - some are sort of long) under my armpits. I'm not sure if they are swollen lymph nodes or not, and the truth is, they could have been there for a long time, but I just noticed them 3 weeks ago after checking for them. Anyway, what I wanted to ask you is if I can take it as a good sign that I am not infected based on the fact that I have had no symptoms at all (presuming of course that you think the bumps under my arms aren't symptoms). Or is the fact that I haven't had any symptoms irrelevant. I realize that nothing will be conclusive until my test (which I plan on taking in another 6 weeks), but I was wondering if I could be more optimistic now. Thanks in advance. You are truly the best! P.S. I am not concerned about any past incidents. This is the only one, so I wouldn't have forgotten any symptoms.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although infection can occur in the absence of symptoms, that is probably a rare event. What you describe is nonspecific and probably unrelated. MH

Previous
Response To: Worried Well
Next
Would viral load test add anything in my case?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.