Could it be HIV Sub-type?

Hello Doc. I had a potential exposure (Condom broke; My penis started bleeding) with a sex worker in Thailand two years back(June 97).Three weeks later I had a puss like formation on the cover of the penis which was very painful.It went away after a week or two.After two months I had an unprotected sex with my girl friend.(100% sure she is not HIV infected; Infact a virgin then.)She experienced some rashes near her vaginal area. I Tested Negative after 1(one)Year on Elisa (Dot Method). Past 5 months I have had two fevers.For the first one I was prescribed throat infection tablets( I have a history of throat infection/allergy)which didn't work. I thought it could be malaria(I used to feel cold and then a slight body temperature)and got tested. It was negative but surprisingly the chloroquine tablets prescribed by my doctor worked and I was out of fever. Now(June 99) 2 weeks back I again had a similar fever and also found rashes on my body.I consulted two doctors this time one reported Pharangitis and prescribed Sporidex and the other described it as flu & prescribed Roxid & Nimesulide. I feel better Now.

My Questions: 1.I took out Elisa test (5 Days back) and tested negative (Result of the test: 0.33 S/co Undiluted). I also took out HIV - 1&2 DNA, PCR, QL and tested Negative(From Speciality Ranbaxy Limited Mumbai, India - The only people in India available to do this test at present). Could I be infected with Non B-subtype of HIV-1(or)2 (Like Subtype-E or anyother)? Is the above mentioned lab Credible? 2.The symptoms of Puss like formation and rashes, Could they be an associated symptom of HIV in my case? 3.These questions have come to my mind because I wasn't able to trace down the reason for my recent fevers. Could you put some light on these fevers? 4.If your answer to the first question is Yes, Then which other test should I do to rule out HIV? Is any other information required? I have been in terrible depressions throughout.Doc help me. I cann't take this anymore. Please excuse me for the length. Dated:June-11-99

Never heard of that lab (but that doesn't mean it's not reputable). I don't think you need any further HIV testing. A urethral discharge is not associated with HIV infection specifically, but could be related to several other sexually transmitted diseases. MH

Maximum duration of ARS
immune suppresion