Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could it be HIV Sub-type?
Jun 14, 1999

Hello Doc. I had a potential exposure (Condom broke; My penis started bleeding) with a sex worker in Thailand two years back(June 97).Three weeks later I had a puss like formation on the cover of the penis which was very painful.It went away after a week or two.After two months I had an unprotected sex with my girl friend.(100% sure she is not HIV infected; Infact a virgin then.)She experienced some rashes near her vaginal area. I Tested Negative after 1(one)Year on Elisa (Dot Method). Past 5 months I have had two fevers.For the first one I was prescribed throat infection tablets( I have a history of throat infection/allergy)which didn't work. I thought it could be malaria(I used to feel cold and then a slight body temperature)and got tested. It was negative but surprisingly the chloroquine tablets prescribed by my doctor worked and I was out of fever. Now(June 99) 2 weeks back I again had a similar fever and also found rashes on my body.I consulted two doctors this time one reported Pharangitis and prescribed Sporidex and the other described it as flu & prescribed Roxid & Nimesulide. I feel better Now.

My Questions: 1.I took out Elisa test (5 Days back) and tested negative (Result of the test: 0.33 S/co Undiluted). I also took out HIV - 1&2 DNA, PCR, QL and tested Negative(From Speciality Ranbaxy Limited Mumbai, India - The only people in India available to do this test at present). Could I be infected with Non B-subtype of HIV-1(or)2 (Like Subtype-E or anyother)? Is the above mentioned lab Credible? 2.The symptoms of Puss like formation and rashes, Could they be an associated symptom of HIV in my case? 3.These questions have come to my mind because I wasn't able to trace down the reason for my recent fevers. Could you put some light on these fevers? 4.If your answer to the first question is Yes, Then which other test should I do to rule out HIV? Is any other information required? I have been in terrible depressions throughout.Doc help me. I cann't take this anymore. Please excuse me for the length. Dated:June-11-99

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Never heard of that lab (but that doesn't mean it's not reputable). I don't think you need any further HIV testing. A urethral discharge is not associated with HIV infection specifically, but could be related to several other sexually transmitted diseases. MH

Previous
Maximum duration of ARS
Next
immune suppresion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.