Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

White Blood Cell Count
Aug 13, 1998

I have recently had my blood tested twice, once after 1.5 weeks, and again after 7 weeks after a possible exposureto HIV. Both of my tests were normal with respect to the white blood cell count, and everything else was normal as well. My question is should I be worried about possible HIV infection even though my white blood cell count are normal with in this time frame?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I am not sure by your question what HIV specific tests you had done. If it was an HIV antibody test, than i7 weeks after an exposure may still be too early to detect antibodies. You should followup at 3 months to be retested. You can not use a white blood cell count for the diagnosis of HIV infection. A normal count does not rule in or rule out HIV infection. MH

Previous
What is Seroconversion
Next
Disposable needles

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.