Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

THRUSH......and then some?
Sep 11, 1998

Hello, What is thrush and what does it look like. My doctor says I have it, yet he does not want me to worry because my HIV Antibody and PCR DNA tests are negative (taken in the latter part of July for an exposure in January). My Doctor also said the culture for yeast is often positive when there is no yeast in the mouth and most people have a small amount of yeast in the mouth. He told me to relax and not too worry.....based upon my negative tests....You agree? Thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Many people do indeed have small amounts of yeasts in their mouth, gastrointestinal tract, vaginal cervical area and on the skin (called colonization). Thrush is the overgrowth of a yeast to the point of a localized infection. In the mouth yeast infections can look like white spots or larger areas on the tongue, gums and inside the cheeks. Or it can appear as ulcers or very bright red patches. Thrush can be the result of oral steroids, steroid inhalers, antibiotics, immune deficiencies, cancer, or poor oral hygiene. It is always good to confirm the diagnosis by culture or by a smear under the microscope. It can usually be easily treated. From your test results, HIV infection seems very unlikely. MH

Previous
2 questions
Next
Easy Question.....I think?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.