THRUSH......and then some?

Hello, What is thrush and what does it look like. My doctor says I have it, yet he does not want me to worry because my HIV Antibody and PCR DNA tests are negative (taken in the latter part of July for an exposure in January). My Doctor also said the culture for yeast is often positive when there is no yeast in the mouth and most people have a small amount of yeast in the mouth. He told me to relax and not too worry.....based upon my negative tests....You agree? Thanks

Many people do indeed have small amounts of yeasts in their mouth, gastrointestinal tract, vaginal cervical area and on the skin (called colonization). Thrush is the overgrowth of a yeast to the point of a localized infection. In the mouth yeast infections can look like white spots or larger areas on the tongue, gums and inside the cheeks. Or it can appear as ulcers or very bright red patches. Thrush can be the result of oral steroids, steroid inhalers, antibiotics, immune deficiencies, cancer, or poor oral hygiene. It is always good to confirm the diagnosis by culture or by a smear under the microscope. It can usually be easily treated. From your test results, HIV infection seems very unlikely. MH

2 questions
Easy Question.....I think?