Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Penny For Your Thoughts
Oct 5, 1998

Hi Doctor Holodniy, About 29 months ago, i was rushed into emergency craniotomy surgery after a skull fracture and subsequent epidural hematomas. I decided to order my records, for my own use, and stumbled upon a few things which were NEVER discussed with me, i'd like your opinion. First, i read something about minimal Pneumocephalus in the area of hemorrhage, what is this? Any big dea? Some CBC results i'd like your feelings on. First, WBC count 11.10.. Netrophil # 10.10... neutrophil% 90.10, Segmented Neut 84, Lymphs on the low end..anything here i should worry about? thank you

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Pneumocephalus literally means air in your head. This can be seen on CT or MRI scans of the head after brain surgery. Usually we don't have air pockets inside our head. But to get to the brain, we have to make a hole in the skull which results in some air getting inside. It then gets absorbed and disappears. Depending on when the WBC results were obtained, those results could be very normal. The usual WBC count is about 5-10 (x 1000). 11 is just a little high. The neutrophil count is usually 50-70% of the total WBC count. In times of stress (brain surgery is a big one), the neutrophil count will go up (>70%) and the lymphocyte count will go down temporarily. This is quite common.

MH

Previous
Why the Scare tacticts?
Next
Penny For Your Thoughts..Part 2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.