Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Subtype O
Nov 9, 1998

Dear Dr. Holodniy,

How many cases of HIV I subtype O in south east Asia? As I asked you last time that I and my wife took anti-HIV I and II tests 4 times between the period of 28 months since the last possible contact with Asian in 1994, and the tests were negative. I am suspicious about the white patch on my tongue. I scrape it off very day, but one or two day still cover again. I have a history of a little high sugar level on my blood (130 mg%) last year. My wife also has hair lose and she look fatigue. I asked my doctor, but he can not tell me any things. Your answers are very helpful for us to cope with this problem. Thank you very much for your answers.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

We don't have complete numbers on all the subtypes of virus or where they all can be found. I think its unlikely, although not impossible, that subtype O is found in SE Asia. I doubt even more that it may have been there in 1994. You may want to ask your doctor to do a culture or scraping from your tongue and see what this condition might be. It is not related to HIV infection.

MH

Previous
Just how many people have HIV?
Next
HIV-2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.