Subtype O

Dear Dr. Holodniy,

How many cases of HIV I subtype O in south east Asia? As I asked you last time that I and my wife took anti-HIV I and II tests 4 times between the period of 28 months since the last possible contact with Asian in 1994, and the tests were negative. I am suspicious about the white patch on my tongue. I scrape it off very day, but one or two day still cover again. I have a history of a little high sugar level on my blood (130 mg%) last year. My wife also has hair lose and she look fatigue. I asked my doctor, but he can not tell me any things. Your answers are very helpful for us to cope with this problem. Thank you very much for your answers.

We don't have complete numbers on all the subtypes of virus or where they all can be found. I think its unlikely, although not impossible, that subtype O is found in SE Asia. I doubt even more that it may have been there in 1994. You may want to ask your doctor to do a culture or scraping from your tongue and see what this condition might be. It is not related to HIV infection.

MH

Just how many people have HIV?
HIV-2