Just how many people have HIV?

According to the CDC, the estimated number of HIV cases in the U.S. is between 650,000 - 900,000. Would you agree with this estimate or do you think the number is on the low side?

Also, what states in the U.S. has the highest/lowest number of HIV/AIDS cases and why? Please respond, sometimes I think that the CDC doesn't give real figures. Maybe they don't want a mass panic if they tell just how large the number really is. Thanks!!!

An accurate number is a little hard to come by. Historically, AIDS was reportable to the public health departments and subsequently to the CDC, HIV infection without AIDS was not. There have been sentinel hospitals doing HIV prevalence studies to give us a flavor of how the epidemic is proceeding. My information is no better than yours. The epidemic is based primarily in larger cities/states, and in women and people of color. The number seems a little low to me, but not unreasonable.

MH

Tested Negative at 3 months after swoolen Gland
Subtype O