Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerning Viral Load And Symptoms
Dec 14, 1998

Hi Dr, I had a couple of questions that I thought were intriguing. The first is, based on everything that I have read, the viral load soars during ARS, and few people can keep the load undetectable on even a 400 or 500 copy test during this period of time. Based on this, would one of those few persons who could keep the load down on their immune system alone even experience symptoms of ARS? How reflective of viral load is a symptomatic infection? I would assume that those people with the strong immune reaction would also be candidates for quick seroconversion. Have there been any studies that have looked at this type of data? You have a wonderful, informative website, keep up the good work.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Thanks for the kudos. In the small numbers of patients in which it has been studied, the correlation between viral load level and symptoms of ARS, is at best imprecise. There does appear to be some correlation between the duration of higher viral loads and duration of symptoms. Finally we know that the higher the viral load is and stays after seroconversion, the more rapid disease can progress in the absence of therapy. MH

Previous
Question re: 12-2-98 Response
Next
Antibody Screening vs Antibody Testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.