Concerning Viral Load And Symptoms

Hi Dr, I had a couple of questions that I thought were intriguing. The first is, based on everything that I have read, the viral load soars during ARS, and few people can keep the load undetectable on even a 400 or 500 copy test during this period of time. Based on this, would one of those few persons who could keep the load down on their immune system alone even experience symptoms of ARS? How reflective of viral load is a symptomatic infection? I would assume that those people with the strong immune reaction would also be candidates for quick seroconversion. Have there been any studies that have looked at this type of data? You have a wonderful, informative website, keep up the good work.

Thanks for the kudos. In the small numbers of patients in which it has been studied, the correlation between viral load level and symptoms of ARS, is at best imprecise. There does appear to be some correlation between the duration of higher viral loads and duration of symptoms. Finally we know that the higher the viral load is and stays after seroconversion, the more rapid disease can progress in the absence of therapy. MH

Question re: 12-2-98 Response
Antibody Screening vs Antibody Testing