Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A different type of question
Feb 8, 1999

Hi doctor, I have a question that I dont believe Ive seen in your column or anyone elses as of yet. I was at the Board of health getting an HIV test, and I asked the RN taking my blood about what types of seroconversion times they typically see. He said that it was dependant on the viral load of the person that transmitted the virus. If a person had a high viral load, the person that they infected would seroconvert sooner etc. This didnt make total sense to me because I thought that the development of antibodies was more a function of the new host's system more than anything else. Do you think that (if this were possible), that a person infected with a small amount of the virus (copies wise), would tend to seroconvert slower than that same person infected with a larger amount of the virus? Maybe this isnt important in the grand scheme of things, but I found the question interesting. Thank you, your column is the greatest, you really help a lot of people!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is a very interesting question. There is no data regarding an answer to that question. I think you are correct regarding antibody development. The higher viral load of the donor would make infection more likely, but it's not clear that antibodies would develop sooner. MH

Previous
just a comment
Next
Lymph Nodes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.