Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PCR results Q from prior post
Feb 9, 1999

Your reply stated if PCR testing was positive , you were infected. Well, the doctor, an OB/GYN, did not even know how or what to order for me (?) and she had to confer with an infectious disease doc and he told her what to order me for exposure 3 and 7 weeks ago(PCR)She said results need to be interpretated, that there are false postives. How can that be? If your finding particles of HIV, it isnt the same as say the rare autoimmune disease causing false pos on antibody tests or other tests, because your actually isolating the virus, right? You know, sometimes I feel like my doctors aren't as knowledgeable as me. This causes me anxiety I don't need. Time for a switch? Thanks again..your so helpful!(How long does PCRresults take?Iknow the lab said they are "Sent" out)Is this a viral load test? JC

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Some definitions are in order first. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is a molecular diagnositic assay that can be used for a variety of things. It is not specific for HIV. HIV PCR comes in 2 flavors, DNA PCR, which measures HIV in cells, and RNA PCR which is also refered to as a viral load test. There is always the possibility of false positives with any test. No test can be perfect all of the time. It can be related to sampling handling, operator inexperience, or other retrovirus infections to name a few. The actual test takes a day. Depending on volume of samples, quality control issues, etc, results may take a few days to get back. MH

Previous
HIV symptoms???
Next
BACK AGAIN

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.