Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lymph nodes enlarged or not????
Feb 15, 1999

hi, i repeatedly have tested neg. (as you know) but i have a question.In HIV patients how soon do they usually see gland enlargement?You stated once that they usually dont even realize they are swollen so does that mean they are very small?Mine (I am skinny and i am female) are palpable in my groin area and i thinki can even feel them in my abdoman area, but nothing i would consider swollen ,i can just feel them.I am pretty sure that the ones in my groin i have always been able to feel, it is just that i never really payed much attention until now. So, Are the ones associated w/ hiv usually pretty large like a small egg or large lump or what?No one really ever says and it is hard for people to know. My doc says they are fine but i cant keep going back to him each time i feel a new one and am not sure about. I sit possible to be able to feel small ones in you lower abdomen and it be fine? I can sordove feel some on back of my neck too and small ones that dont seem swollen underarms. Is that ok/My heart tells me i am overreacting and this is nonsense but i just want your advice.I mean you are told that they feel like bean like nodes but that is what mine are like in groin and i never thought anything about them and the doctor has never mentioned them. Since i am pretty skinny i thought it was normal. Maybe not.BYE!!!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Glands will usually swell with a couple of weeks of infection and can persist for several weeks. They are usually like an almond and not a pea and can be tender. Many people have small pea sized nodes in their neck, or groin from past viral or bacterial infections. They will stay like that forever. MH

Previous
PAROTID GLANDS
Next
HIV symptoms???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.