|DNA PCR vs RNA PCR?
Mar 25, 1999
Dear Dr. Holodniy: one of your recently answered message prompted me to ask this question:
Is it possible that a RNA PCR (measures viruses inside plasma)gives Negative result; while DNA PCR (measures viruses inside cells) gives Positive result? At least, do you have any patients with this situation, or have you heard something like this???
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
Not during acute infection, if that is what you are asking. A situation like this would commonly occur in HIV infected people who are receiving therapy in whom we would see undetectable plasma viral loads, but still have a positive DNA PCR from their blood cells. MH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- HIVpain In Penis After Touching Dried Blood Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Red Spots After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Purple Spots After Drinking After Someone Worried I Have HIV
- Red Spots After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Does Stress Effect Vaginal Discharge?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.