My doctor's theory...?

Dear Dr. Holodniy: I just saw my I.D. doctor, she told me a theory that seems to make sense.

My doctor said, ""At any point in time, an infected person should either have antibodies or the viruses itself. It is extremely unusual for any infected person to have neither antibodies or viruses. It is because if a person is somehow slow or weak in producing antibodies, his/her virus level should be high enough to be detected by any PCR technique, normal or sensitive ones (assuming no treatment is given). On the other hand, if a person's viral level is low (without treatment), he/she must be producing a good amount of antibodies (which is fighting off the viruses) to be detected by ELISAs or Western Blot.""

If the above theory is right, then for those of us that worry within the 3-6 months window period should be rest assured if both ELISA and PCR give negative results!!!

1. DO YOU AGREE with my doctor's theory? 2. DO you think this theory apply perfectly between the most sensitive 3-6 months window period??? 3. At what stage of an infection do you think the above theory may not apply? For example, at very late stage, or very early? 4. Does antibody really useful in fighting off the HIV virus? I thought human body can fight the virus off!!! Or my doctor means that antibody TRIES to fight them???

THank you very much for your valuable information.

James

1.) Yes 2.) Probably 3.) Probably never 4.) Antibodies are an important aspect of the immune systems ability to control HIV infection. MH

Medicine and antibody?
Glands size