Are any HIV drugs known to be truly unhealthy?

I read an article several months ago from a Doctor who claims that what is really making HIV infected individuals sick and causing them to deteriorate over time is more the drugs they are taking to combat HIV than the virus itself. Is there any real proof of this and what do you think of this belief? If I am remembering correctly, I want to say that AZT was one of the most debilitating to the body and can cause a very slow deterioration and wasting that is most times thought to just be the disease itself when really it is the drugs. Insight?

Not sure about exactly what you were refering to. However, HIV is not unlike many other diseases/conditions that we treat. The treatments carry risks of side effects (short or long term), toxicities, or development of diseases themselves. One has to weigh the risks of the meds against the risks of the disease. Having taken care of HIV infected people for over 10 years and seen what has happened in the last 2-3 years in terms of overall improvement in health, I'd vote for the drugs. MH

VL and transmission
PERCENTAGES