Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried Mom-Results
Apr 29, 1999

Doctor, This is from the mother who's son was sexually molested 6 years ago. I did have him tested for HIV, and all test for HIV and STD's were all negative. I have some more questions on White Blood Cell count though. 3 weeks ago, his WBC count was 3,200, below normal, now it is 4,100. He has an upper respiratory infection and prostatitis so the doctor put him on medication to take care of both. He also is continuing to have breathing problems. The doctor said he is not 2/3 of where he should be when he blows in that tube, so they are trying an asthma inhaler. My question is, should his white blood cell count be monitored? Is there reason for concern? I am not very bright on this, but it seems that it might have gone up due to URI, when the infection is gone, it could go down again. Please advise, and thank you so very much. It is very much apprecitated. He's 16.

Worried Mom

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Dear Mom, good to hear the HIV and other tests were negative. The WBC was somewhat low, but is now normal. You are right, in most infection settings the count does go up. In very serious infections, it can decrease instead. There is a natural variability to the WBC count. It can be affected by the time of day, infections, medications, or other illnesses. I don't think it needs to be monitored if he is otherwise healthy. MH

Previous
CIRCUMSICION
Next
seroconversion?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.