HIV 2 Testing
May 6, 1999
Dear Dr. Holodniy:
First of all thanks a lot for helping all of us and enlightening us on all these issues. Its tremendous help!!! There were a couple of Qs last week regarding HIV 2 showing something on HIV 1 Western Blot test. Could you please tell us how that is possible?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
HIV-1 and HIV-2 are about 60% the same and 40% different. They are structurally the same and share some of the same proteins, but have some different proteins as well. Sometimes there can be crossreactivity in the tests with the proteins that are similar. This is not a common occurrence. MH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Sore Throat After Licking Rectum Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- How Long Does Azithromycin Take To Cure Chlamydia?
- Symptoms Of Hepatitis Vomit
- 4th Generation Elisa 6 Months Conclusive
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.