Why not the Platinum Standard?
May 17, 1999
If the ELISA (antibody) and WESTERN BLOT (antibody) are the Gold Standard 1980's technology 99%+ (sensativity and specificity) why not use the 1990's technology Platinum Standard, PCR DNA viral load and WESTERN BLOT (antibody) 100% (sensativity and specificity). Why spend money on outdated technology when there is a better one. If we can save even one life isn't it worth it?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
Show me the study in acute HIv infection that demonstrates a higher positive predictive value using that strategy and I will be convinced. MH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- In The Earliest Stage Of Hiv Infection Can Symptoms May Be Mistaken For The Flu
- Has Anyone Ever Gotten Hiv From A Massage
- Can You Get Hiv From An Hiv Test?
- How Soon Dry Cough Develops In Newly Hiv Positive Person?
- Are Hiv Symptoms Constant Or Do They Come And Go?
- Where Are Genital Herpes Sores Located On Women?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.