Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerning CMV
May 17, 1999

Dr. Holodniy, My father has recently been told that due to his low immune system, he has CMV. I am not aware of what this virus is nor how they plan on treating it. He has several other health issues that has made this virus appear. He is a non HIV person. Can you tell me the full name of this infection along with a little history of what it is and how it can be treated in adults with other health issues? Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

CMV, or cytomegalovirus, is a cousin of herpes virus. Almost all of us are exposed to this virus as small children. Although we contain the acute infection, the virus lives within us in a dormant state. It only causes infection problems when our immune system is damaged by HIV, cancer, immunosuppressive drugs, etc. It can affect the eyes or other organs like the liver, lungs or GI tract. It can be treated with drugs like gancyclovir, cidofovir, or foscarnet. MH

Previous
Just diagnosed
Next
Why not the Platinum Standard?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.