Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

last time I PROMISE please respond 1 last time
Aug 4, 1999

Mark I wrote earlier today and if you could still answer that question about antibodies of another virus affecting HIV initial replication I'd appreciate it as well as this one. Well, I now understand that HIV produces antibodies to p24, gp120, p66, 160, p55, etc. equalling a total of 8 antibodies. My question is that do any other viral infections create antibodies to these specific bands that HIV has (p24, gp120, etc)? I know they won't have most of these antigens or bands, but 1)can say hepetitis or mono or some other infection create the body to produce antibodies to one of these bands as well, or are these 8 bands ONLY specific to HIV? I am the one who is concerned that my p24 antigen test and pcr viral load test was inaccurate at 3 weeks due to having another viral infection a month earlier to exposure to HIV. I hope you understand what I am asking, basically 2)can having another viral infection a month before getting HIV limit or slow the initial HIV replication cycle by using the antibodies that are present in the blood to the initial virus (whether it was mono or hepatitis, etc) to act against the new incoming HIV virus even if it had no bands or only 1 band similar to HIV antigens ( I understand HIV antibodies won't be present yet, but can other viral antibodies actually slow the initial burst of HIV replication), and 3) does it make no difference that having antibodies for other viruses present in the blood for HIV to replicate as its normal rate from initial entrance into one's blood, or in other words would HIV replicate at its regular rate regardless of what antibodies (whether it be mono or some other virus antibodies) one has in their blood as long as it isn't HIV specific antibodies? I was thinking that this could possibly be the reason for a negative pcr and p24 antigen test at 3 weeks with only mild, not severe symptoms (sore throat and night sweats and headaches) due to HIV being somewhat controlled by another virus's antibodies present in the blood when HIV was present. I don't want a slow seroconversion and be positive at 6 or 13 months later. PLEASE PLEASE answer this question with the previous one I wrote earlier today!! You are the nicest and most personal of all the doctors at the body!! WIsh I had a doc like ya here!! thanx from Lisa the 20 year old desperate college student. THIS is my 3rd and final question, please answer to your best knowledge cuz my clinic manager says this is a good question he can't figure out.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

See previous response. No, mono or hepatitis viruses WILL NOT cross react with an HIV-1 western blot antibody test. MH

Previous
Mark Please ANswer one last Question
Next
mono and hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.