Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mark Please ANswer one last Question
Aug 4, 1999

Mark, I just want your input on antibodies of HIV. DO they actually slow down the virus or are they just markers of infection? THey must slow the virus because the initial burst of viral load in the acute syndrome has to be slowed down and the antibodies must slow HIV down right? I am the one asking you if having mono or Herpes or hepatitis a month before being exposed to HIV could slow down the HIV initial production process due to the antibodies in my body that are fighting mono, or herpes, or hepatitis or whatever I had a month ago, but it wasn't HIV. My clinic manager and I have discussed the possibility that antibodies developed in my body for another viral infection (mono or herpes or hepatitis) a month before being exposed to HIV could slow the HIV production process by working against HIV as well as the initial virus that was present a month earlier. THis must be why I tested negative on a PCR, a p24 antigen, and an eliza at 27 days after exposure to HIV. My basic 2 questions are 1) can antibodies developed for mono, herpes, hepatitis, or another viral infection possibly control or slow down the initial HIV replication process and avoid one from developing severe symptoms of ARS? 2) DO antibodies formed for HIV specifically actually slow down the replication process and thus the acute syndrome goes away or do HIV antibodies merely do nothing against the HIV replication process but simply serve as markers of infection? I really appreciate your quick response and this is the LAST question (i'VE written you twice already) and I promise to leave you alone. PLEASE ANSWER IMMEDIATELY!! from another worried well female. thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. We don't know, but I doubt it. 2. They slow down the virus. Remember, we can make antibodies to different things at the same time. Like when we get immunized against measles, mumps and rubella, these viral vaccines are all together in one shot. Mh

Previous
Just want to clear things up
Next
last time I PROMISE please respond 1 last time

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.