Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I would appreciate your help again
Aug 9, 1999

Dear Dr. Holodniy,

Thank you, Doctor, that you found time to answer my previous note in which I wrote about contradictory opinions of the American and Russian doctors.I apologise for sending you another note but would very much appreciate if you could please comment on the following: 1/ What does ELISA stand for? Is it a general definition that applies to all HIV antibody tests (e.g. Genelavia)? 2/ If someone has historically (severe respiratory illnesses up to 1 year of age, being prone to colds, etc.) a relatively weak immune system should not this person’s immune system react quicker to the virus or at least react within the usual 3 month window period? Is it possible that since the immune system is so weak it does not respond to the virus immediately and it takes it much longer than average individuals? 3/ If swollen nodes were a symptom of the body’s reaction to the virus, should not the antibody test after 3 days from the nodes’ symptom onset (and 130 days after the potential exposure) be considered as reliable when negative? The WB was also taken but a couple of days before when the nodes were not yet detectable. The American doctors say that if it were to have something to do with the seroconversion then the antibody (Genelavia) and WB tests would detect it by now.

Thank you for your help and wonderful attitude to people’s needs and worries.

Kind regards, Alexander

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1.ELISA = enzyme linked immunosorbent assay. I am not familiar with the test you describe,but it probably uses this technology. 2. We don't have any data to answer your question directly. 3. Yes., and I agree with the US doc again. MH

Previous
New Essay for Testing/Diagnosis?
Next
Viral Load Denied

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.