Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Married 12 yrs...husband diagnosed...terrified

Jul 29, 1999

I have been married for 12 years and have had no other sex partners for 14 years. I had no idea my husband was HIV positive until he experienced some breathing difficulty. (He says he didn't either) I took him to the ER where they said he has PCP. He had a CD4 of 7, and they told me he has AIDS. He was on a respirator for 5 days, and the PCP is getting better. In 5 days, the CD4 is now 20something. His ID seems to feel that is we can get his CD4 to 200+, and his viral load reduced, he may have a better chance. I realize that there is nothing I can do for him. We have a small child. I immediately had myself tested, and was told that I am tested negative.

We have had regular unprotected sex. The last time we had sex was three weeks ago. I am scheduled for another test in 2 weeks, and again in October. I guess my question is how can I NOT be testing positive?

His ID is telling me that this is not something my husband contracted last week, last month, or even last year. So, if he has had this disease for quite some time, and we have been having unprotected sex, shouldn't I have had a positive result?

You are doing a good thing by helping people here. Thank you and God bless you.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I agree with everything the ID doc said. I also agree with another test for you. I can't explain why you are probably not infected. We do know that some people have things in their immune system that protect them from getting HIV infection. MH

Previous
Onset of ARS - Symptoms - DNA PCR Test
Next
Oral Sex and Transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.