Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral Load increase from <50
Aug 23, 2001

Hi Doc, I was diagnosed on 7/94 (estimated infection 1982)during a planned pregnancy I was given 6 months to live with over 1million viral load and a Tcell count of <10 and was on AZT until the protease regimen. I have been undectable with the <400 test from 12/96 to 2/98 and the <50 from 6/98 to present my TCells range between 1200 -1750 copies and 34to 36 I am on Novir,Zerit,3tc & Invarese and this is the combo I have been taking since 11/96 Unfortunately what has happened is on 1/2000 I had a viral load reading of 101 tcell 1326 after a terrible flu which upon retest vl came back to <50 were it remained so it was determined to be a blip and due to the flu. Then in may 2001 the highest tcell count for me so far and that my doctors have ever seen of 1790 and <50 viral load.

Unfortunately my next test on 8/01 came out vl 123 and tcell 1447 34.

I have been going for infertility treatments for about a year and a half and have been taking injectable ovarion stimulation drugs I had a laporascopy the end of june and in july about 2 weeks before these last tests I had 4 large cysts that did not release and I was in severe pain and was hemoraging for about 5 days,had a painful swollen gland on the left side of my neck for about 3 days twice, I also just found out that I have a benign cervical polyp that will be surgical removed in sept.

My docs are suggesting that this could be another blip and not to worry but they do not want to retest me until 1. see a dentist 2. see my endocrinologist(I had graves disease and had my thyroid removed in 8/98)due to possible fluctuations in my thyroid from the fertilitymeds,and the swollen gland I had.all these appointments are set for september.

My questions are these do you think it is ok to wait to retest? do you think this is a blip maybe from what was going on with me in july and it will go back to <50 (please GOD).Should I be worried that this is now the second time in 2 years? What do you think about my high tcell numbers my doctors are always happily amazed about that and say they have never seen numbers like this.

I am sorry this is so long but I am scared and I truly value your opinion and really appreciate the service that you provide here.(This is not my first post to you)

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I agree with your doctors, I think this is a blip. We have seen more data emerging that people can repeatedly blip over time and still go back down to < 50. I would wait and get some of these procedures and stuff under your belt before retesting. MH

Previous
Does saliva always contain blood?
Next
Viral Load of Crap...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.