Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should viral load tests be used to confirm hiv+ status
Jul 14, 1998

My husband had a positive Elisa test, mine was indeterminate. His Western Blot was negative. I have not had one (I could only have been infected by him). How accurate are these tests and would it be a good idea to get a viral load test to confirm status in this case.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

A positive ELISA with a negative western blot, makes HIV infection unlikely, although remotely possible. You state your ELISA was "indeterminate", but you did not include your western blot result. Generally, a positive HIV ELISA, requires a positive western blot to confirm infection. A positive or negative ELISA with an indeterminate western blot could indicate early infection. I would highly recommend that both of you get repeat antibody testing. Alternatively, plasma HIV viral load testing could be performed. Viral load is generally detectable within several days to a couple of weeks after infection in virtually all patients.

MH

Previous
ELISA VS. WESTERN BLOT TESTING
Next
Viral load test as HIV screening test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.