Recreational Drugs and Their Affect on Testing
Oct 19, 1998
Dear Dr, Is it true that if someone smokes marijuana, their immune system is surpressed and hiv tests may not pick up the virus? In other words produce a great number of false negatives? Thanks....
Response from Dr. Holodniy
There is no published data to specifically answer your question, but in my opinion, I doubt very much. Of those patients in my practice who are HIV positive and use medicinal marijuana, I have not seen any negative effects on T cell number or viral load. MH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Would Chlamydia Cause Diarrhea
- Will Any Antibiotic Cure Syphilis?
- Where Is Herpes Rash Located?
- What To Do When Prescriptions Do Not Work For Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Do Genital Warts Look Like When They First Appear?
- What Are The Odds Of Contracting Genital Herpes After Sleeping With Someone Who Has It But Not An Outbreak?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.