Recreational Drugs and Their Affect on Testing
Oct 19, 1998
Dear Dr, Is it true that if someone smokes marijuana, their immune system is surpressed and hiv tests may not pick up the virus? In other words produce a great number of false negatives? Thanks....
Response from Dr. Holodniy
There is no published data to specifically answer your question, but in my opinion, I doubt very much. Of those patients in my practice who are HIV positive and use medicinal marijuana, I have not seen any negative effects on T cell number or viral load. MH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Ache In Testicles After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Swallowing Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Barebacking Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Getting Fingered Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.