Mail order home test versus Elisa

Hi Doctor, I was on the computer not long ago and saw these hiv self tests advertised which takes about 5 minutes to get a result. Everything is done at home by the person taking the test.Anyway out of curiosity I ordered one and it tested positive. I nearly died of shock as i am not what you would call high risk as I have been very happily married for 3 years,never done drugs etc. I then went to my doctor and had a blood test done,it came back negative.Can I stop worrying now. Thanks

You need to be very careful about utilizing any tests sold through the mail or net. They are probably not FDA approved, and as such are unregulated and probably inaccurate. These tests are to be distinguished from other "home" tests like the home access test which is FDA approved where you collect your own blood and mail it to a lab which performs the test. After which you call a number for results. If there has been NO high risk behavior in the last 1-3 years, the HIV test from your doctor is sufficient. MH

elisa
Type O