Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

trace of protein??????
Dec 14, 1998

Hi again, I feel like I am really aggravating you, but I just trust your opinion so I thought I would ask you a question.I recently had another hiv elisa test and complete physical to try to figure out my symptoms (pains under arms, in groin and upper leg and neck)I am a nurse so i had some glucose and protein urine test strips at home and have been noticing there is a trace of protein in my urine.On my physical bloodwork it also came back with a trace of protein.(which was noted as negative)I am on no diet that would cause this neither.My doctor didnt even mention it, I just happened to see it on my results.He said everything was normal and I was HIV negative,again.Why would I continue to always have a trace of protein showing up if I am so healthy?Would this be anything to do with HIV?It has now been 8 months since my encounter and I am still negative on Elisa tests, should I get a PCR test?My doctor will think I have gone off the deep end if I ask.Also, I read that my cholesterol is 98 and Triglycerides are 29!29?That is strange, wouldent you think?Under the hemogram section everything was fine except it says RDW-SD is 37.6 L and MPV is 11.6 H and my HGB is 12.5.If something were low or high shouldent he have made me aware and explained it?Or are these numbers just normal?I beg you to please answer this because I just do not understand about all of this and my doctor just says everything is just fine.How often have you ever seen a patient of yours turn pos. after 6 months?I have had 4 Elisa tests, if this were you and it was your health would you go further with this,is these pains a frequently complained symptom of HIV positive patients?(No swelling, just irritating pains)They tested me for HIV 1 and 2 so I feel good about that, but I really think something is weird, maybe it is ME that is weird because I am just so darn paranoid.........Thankyou so much I really could never tell you what you have meant to me during this.I am eternally grateful.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I would not test anymore for HIV. You did not say if you were man or women. A hemoglobin of 12.5 is definitely low for a man, and slightly low for women. A trace of protein in the urine could be a normal finding after vigorous exercise, or could indicate early kidney disease, possibly resulting from hypertension or diabetes. With all such tests, I usually repeat them. If the abnormality is real, then I go on to determine the cause. MH

Previous
urine test news report
Next
wait before you answer the other question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.