Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV1, HIV2 and their relationship to sub-types and testing
Jan 21, 1999

I'm concerned about a potential exposure to HIV which occured in South East Asia. After reading through your many (wonderful!)answers I had a in-house PCR QUAL assay done about 3 weeks after the exposure. Results were negative. Then the lab indicated that the test is not approved for detecting the "E" strain common in S.E. Asia. Further research pointed me towards the Chiron b-dna test which according to Chiron is sensitive to type "E". I tested at 35 days and it also was negative. However in receiving the lab results it stated "for HIV1 only". What's going on here? Is there HIV-1-E and HIV-2-E (doesn't seem to make sense)? How does HIV1 and HIV2 relate to the various HIV subtypes (A, E, O etc)? Finally, do I need further testing? I also had a negative antibody (type1&2) at 60 days.

Thanks for your wonderful advice!!!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your biolody lesson for today. HIV-1 is divided into 2 major subgroups M (major) and O (outlier). The M group is divided into subtypes A-I. The O group into A and B (for now). They are all HIV-1. HIV-2 is a different virus, although it is in the same family of retroviruses. The viral load tests are reassuring. I would still followup with one more antibody test in a couple of months. MH

Previous
Home Test - Intracel
Next
Quantification of PCR

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.