Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PCR bDNA value
Jan 26, 1999

Dear Dr Holodniy,

I did a PCR for HIV bDNA exactly one month after a high risk exposure to the HIV virus(receptive anal sex with HIV+ person). It came back negative (undetectable <500 copies/ml). I also did an ELISA at the same time (negative also). At the lab, a physician told me that I wasn't infected due to my negative result in the PCR. I'm just wondering if he isn't a bit irresponsible on saying this, considering that this result should always be followed by an ELISA at 3 and 6 months (as you stated in your previous answers). Is he speculating or there's some truth on what he said? I would appreciate a lot your opinion. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

PCR and bDNA technologies are quite different, but measure the same thing, namely the HIV viral RNA in plasma. An ELISA could certainly be negative at one month, but a person still be infected. In all people that have been studied to date, viral load testing has been positive in people by one month after infection, if the date is accurately known. The two tests have additive predictive value. Viral load is not approved for HIV diagnosis, hence the recommendation of serial antibody testing for 6 months.

MH

Previous
woman +woman
Next
DNA PCR HOW ACURATE?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.