Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Virus types in layman's terms
Feb 8, 1999

Hi doctor, I believe that I have this straight, but want to check with you. This is concerning the different virus types and tests that identify them. 1. Hiv-2 is a different virus than Hiv-1. Some elisas will pick up both, No molecular tests will at this time. 2. Hiv-1 has 2 subgroups O and M, some elisas wont pick up type O's subtypes but some companies have modified their assays to pick up this subgroup. Viral load and dna tests for hiv-1 (which is all there currently is) will identify but may have trouble quantitating subgroup O?.

Assuming I am correct in this line of thinking, would the only true way to test for all virus's and subtypes be to get and HIV1/HIV2 elisa at 6 months, and a PCR DNA or ultrasensitive viral load at the same time? Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You get an A for the day!!! The new Abbott MO2 ELISA (get it, M for M subtypes, O for O subtypes and 2 for HIV-2) should detect all the suspects. The data looks very good and should be approved soon. Therefore you probably don't need the viral load test. MH

Previous
Combination of p24 antigen & eliza tests????
Next
i am almost there

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.