Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ELisa; all subtypes detected?
Feb 16, 1999

Dear Dr. Holodniy:

I have done many Antibodies tests so far, but my symptoms still exist. My 2 doctors still couldn't find anything wrong with me, I continue to have this low grade fever, ranging from 98.6 to 99.3 for almost 3 months now. I have tested 2 PCRs and 3 ELISA at 4 months--all negatives. I also tested HIV-2, it is also negatives. I am currently taking Zoloft, my doctor thinks it is all mentally related, which I doubt.

I am now wondering: Does the ELISA test picks up all the strains of the HIV-1? Does the HIV-1 consists of strains from A to I? Please clarify. What about Group M?

Last question: Does the ROche ultrasensitive RNA PCR detects all the strains of the HIV-1? What about "O"??? WOuld it detect HIV-2?

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INFORMATION.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

HIV-1 is divided into 3 major groups, group M (major, divided into subtypes A-J), group O (outlier, 2 subtypes), and the new group N (new, only a couple cases in west Africa). The major antibody tests will pick up the group M viruses. Tests are in trials which pick up M and O. MH

Previous
Subtype
Next
SmithKline laboratory Report

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.