Concerning CMV

Hello Dr, I had some questions on CMV, I believe that I have my facts straight, my understanding is this. Most people are exposed to the virus as children. It becomes unimportant to the body in a host with a healthy immune system. It can cause problems in a person with HIV and a compromised immune system. I also believe that it was stated that if a person acquires the virus as an adult, it can cause flu-like symptoms. My question is this. If a person (non HIV) acquires CMV as an adult and becomes ill, would the body then produce antibodies to the virus and resolve it, or would it cause neurological problems similiar to an HIV positive person. Also if a person tests negative for CMV after a suspected exposure, he can assume that he either doesnt have it or hasnt produced antibodies to it yet, correct? One thing he knows for sure though, is that he didnt have it as a child. Any idea how long it would take to produce antibodies? Months?. Thank you very much.

You get an A for the day! The body will produce antibodies in adult CMV infection and will resolve the infection. In very rare instances, it can cause systemic infections, sometimes with neurologic involvement. Antibodies should be detectable within a couple of weeks to a month after infection. MH

IS THERE A RNA PCR TEST FOR HIV-2?
pcr