Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerning CMV
Feb 16, 1999

Hello Dr, I had some questions on CMV, I believe that I have my facts straight, my understanding is this. Most people are exposed to the virus as children. It becomes unimportant to the body in a host with a healthy immune system. It can cause problems in a person with HIV and a compromised immune system. I also believe that it was stated that if a person acquires the virus as an adult, it can cause flu-like symptoms. My question is this. If a person (non HIV) acquires CMV as an adult and becomes ill, would the body then produce antibodies to the virus and resolve it, or would it cause neurological problems similiar to an HIV positive person. Also if a person tests negative for CMV after a suspected exposure, he can assume that he either doesnt have it or hasnt produced antibodies to it yet, correct? One thing he knows for sure though, is that he didnt have it as a child. Any idea how long it would take to produce antibodies? Months?. Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You get an A for the day! The body will produce antibodies in adult CMV infection and will resolve the infection. In very rare instances, it can cause systemic infections, sometimes with neurologic involvement. Antibodies should be detectable within a couple of weeks to a month after infection. MH

Previous
IS THERE A RNA PCR TEST FOR HIV-2?
Next
pcr

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.