The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral Load/HIV type 1,2 cross reactions and viral mutations

Feb 19, 1999

You guys have a great informative site here. The best one on the web. Keep up the good work. I was wondering if you could tell me if a viral load, pcr, elisa, or wb Hiv test would react if someone were infected with type hiv 2 type virus. I had above tests, but only for hiv1. The doctor told me it would have showed up if I had hiv2, but I don't believe it b/c of chronic illness/symptoms for over 1yr. including thrush (doc. diagnosed) which hasn't responded to diflucan (200mg @1mo.),weight/hair loss, and chronic fatigue. I was also wondering about mutation of the virus. If HIV mutates so that the strains being passed are the easiest to catch, wouldn't it be possible to see a strain passable through saliva (i.e. EBV,CMV) or perhaps a mutation with one of these other viruses. If virus mutates enough, wouldn't it be possible to have strain that wouldn't show up on standard AB testing due to fact that the body is producing AB for diff. viral mutation than original HIV1 virus discoverd in 84? I would appreciate any suggestion or helpful info. you might have. Thanks again.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The assays are constantly updated. So they take into account changes that the virus is undergoing. HIV-1 Viral load, PCR and WB would not react if HIV-2 infection were present. Rarely, HIV-1 ELISA tests have been positive when HIV-2 were present. Current ELISAs test for both HIV-1 and 2. MH

Blood test question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint