Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv rna vs. dna at 9 months
Feb 24, 1999

hi , i guess the title says what i need to know, but to be clearer, if one had a rna (VIRAL LOAD down to <400 copies) and it came back nondetectable and they had had a few elisas earlier (after exposure) and if they thought they may be immunosupressed so the antibodies may not have shown then would you have expected that viral load to have been pos? i realize there are some that detect down to 40 but i wasnt fortunate enough to get that one so considering what test was done where would one go from here?i read sordove contradictory info. that you wrote, see you told one person that they should get the rna because it was very reliable in detection then you have stated that the dna was what should be done. it is all so very confusing and i try to just use common sense and think that if i was pos, then with no meds and symptoms that i always think are hiv then a viral load would surely have been over 400 copies, would you agree? I really want to know how common it is for a person to start off with their 1st viral load test (after becoming infected)and them show up nondetectable. thanks.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

A Viral load would have been positive. I don't think I have been contradictory. It depends on the clinical situation.

MH

Previous
hiv 0 type
Next
Differing Opinions in Medical Community

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.