Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Timing of rash w.r.t ARS
Aug 18, 2001

Dr. Holodniy, I'm hoping you can please help me, I'm so worried. A little over 7 weeks ago, I had a risky encounter. About five days later, I had very mild nausea during a hangover--for just several hours--which cleared up the next day and didn't come back. I had a bout of diarrhea maybe a month later, which went away in a couple of days and didn't seem any different than occasional diarrhea I have had.

I have not had any fevers, no sore throats, no fatigue, no significant or lasting joint or muscle aches.

However, around 45 days after exposure, I began developing a patchy, pink, slightly raised rash on my arms. The next day it was on my legs and on my chest, but not face. Today (Day 51) my throat feels tense but I'm not sure if I have swollen lymph glands, it doesn't feel sore when I press the sides of neck.

Would this rash be indicative of ARS, given my lack of other symptoms and my presentation? Would it present itself as late as 45 days, or be exacerbated by EXTERNAL factors such as excessive heat (heat wave last week!) or a possible reaction to food (my diet consisted of nothing new, yet I fear a possible onset of seroconversion is changing my body physiology and allergic reactions).

Please answer if you can, I realize it's not proper to make diagnoses over the Internet, tho I am very worried and plan to get tested as soon as possible (8 weeks?) and just wondering if the timing of my rash is in line with typical ARS.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

From what we understand in the limited cases at hand, the rash develops at the time with the other symptoms.

Previous
production of antibodies
Next
RNA and DNA Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.