Prenatal Hiv screening

Hi Doc, At my first prenatal exam, my blood was drawn for several tests. Among them, was Hiv (with my consent). I live in New York State. My question is whether they tested by BOTH Hiv 1 and Hiv 2 or only hiv 1? do you have any info in this regard? I have tested negative for Hiv 1 out to two years from a possible exposure but remain haunted by the fear that maybe I am infected by Hiv 2. Now that I am pregnant, i want to be certain that I am not infected with ANY hiv for the sake of my baby. How do people who are Hiv 2 infected find out? I mean if HIV 1 testing is the norm, how do we know that thousands of people who have ruled out Hiv 1 are not carrying on actually infected with Hiv 2? I have read that there are around 100 reported cases of hiv 2 in the U.S. yet in this forum and the "connecting to others " forum I read about people who are Hiv 2 positive. Don't you think that if screening is to be effective it should include both HIV 1&2. thank you in advance for your response and the good work you do!

You need to ask the lab whether the screening test was HIV-1 only or an HIV-1/2 test. MH

WB3
testing facts