What does a low VL mean?
Aug 16, 2001
1. Does a person having a low VL get less opportunistic Infections than a person with a high VL?
2. In a person who has had an AIDS defining event like PCP does taking medication to reduce the VL lower the risk of him get any more OI.
Thanks a lot for the Information you provide.
Response from Dr. Holodniy
The risk of opportunistic infection(OI) is related more to the CD4 count, not the viral load. And again, yes if one develops an OI, treating the HIV infection to reduce the viral load, will increase CD4 counts and reduce the risk of further OIs.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can A Health Care Professional Refuse To Treat A Hiv Patient?
- Vertigo In Early Stages Of Hiv
- If I Had Unprotected Sex With An Hiv Positive Woman What Are The Odds That I Am Infected?
- Why Can't Herpes Be Cured?
- What Is The Difference Between Shingles And Herpes?
- What Is A Over The Counter Genital Wart Remover?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.