|Quanitative PCR Test Accuracy 3 weeks following exposure!
Jul 19, 1999
I know with certainty I was exposed to HIV via anal intercourse about 3 weeks ago.....My doctor directed a quanitative PCR viral load test....Will the test definately show the virus present even though it has been 3 weeks since exposure? I know the anti-body test would not show anything so soon after exposure, this is why I opted for the viral load test.
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
It certainly can be positive at 3 weeks, and if it is, can confirm infection. Although if it is negative, infection could still be present, and the test just not positive yet. MH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Does Diarrhea Mean I Have AIDS?
- Cold Feet After Licking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Anal Sex Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Dry Cough After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Performing Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Kissing Cold Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.