Benefits from resistance testing?

I've been on HAART therapy for approx. 2 years most recently adding d4t a few months ago. while my viral load was never over 50K, it has remained at or near undetectable levels since starting viracept, 3tc and sustiva. my t-cells however, seem to be gradually dropping from approx 200+ one year ago to 150 now. i must add i've been on the 3tc for quite some time.

my question concerns whether there may be a benefit to doing resistance testing to identify the possibility that one or more of the drugs is simply no longer effective and the benefits to viral load are, in fact, caused by only some of the drugs i'm currently taking.

thanks, mark

You may in fact be correct about the implied benefit of some,but not all of the drugs in your regimen. If your viral load is undetectable, then resistance testing will probably not be able to be used. The test usually requires a viral load of 500-1000/ml to have enough virus for the test to be performed. MH

A question about resistance
Drug Holiday-Wild Type Virus