Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is this phenotype resistance test?
Oct 4, 1999

Dear Dr. Holodniy, my brother (who is in Italy) got his resistance results, but there's nothing that looks like mutations. Instead, for each medication tested, there is a number for resistance and a number for maximum resistance, and it says that if the number for resistance is below 4 you are very sensitive, and if it is above 10 you are very resistant. My brother is on Saquinavir/3TC/d4T and he took Ritonavir and many nukes in the past. His resistance results are: AZT: resistance: 12 max meas. resistance: 111 3TC: resistance: 107 max meas. resistance: 107 d4T: resistance: 3 max meas. resistance: 21 abacavir: resistance: 4 max meas. resistance: 54 saquinavir: resistance: 23 max meas. resistance: 32

I don't go on, but he is resistant also to the other PIs and not to the no-nukes (he's never taken any) My questions are: 1) Is this a phenotype resistance testing? 2) Does this kind of testing reveal d4T resistance, or we cannot tell from it if my brother is resistant or not to d4T? 3) Is my brother sensitive to Abacavir, or we cannot tell because this test does not reveal resistance to nukes taken in the past, and which probably overlaps with abacavir resistance?

Thank you so much! P

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1.Sounds like a phenotype. 2.Hard to demonstrate d4T resistance. 3.Looks like he is sensitive to abacavir. Sounds like he could go on a regimen of a nonnuc, d4T, abacavir. There is no mention of ddI resistance, but that probably could be used as well. MH

Previous
How accurate is resistance testing?
Next
resistance to stavudine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.