Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

NEVER SEEN A DOCTOR HIV FOR 13+ YEARS
Aug 10, 1998

I HAVE BEEN HIV + FOR 13+ YEARS THAT I KNOW OF. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A DOCTOR OR BEEN ON ANY DRUGS. I HAVE NO SIGNS OF HIV AND AM QUITE HEALTHY. I REALIZE THAT I AM A LONG TERM SURVIVOR. QUESTION IS . DO YOU THINK THAT ITS TO LATE FOR ME TO START THOSE DRUGS??. I TAKE LOADS OF VITAMINS AND AMINO ACIDS. ANY SUGGESTIONS DOC? ED..

Response from Dr. Holodniy

First congrats on your 13 years! Whether you need to go on antiviral therapy will depend on what your CD4 count and viral load are. Some long term survivors with CD4 counts >500 and viral loads < 500/ml, and who have been infected for 10 years or longer, are still not on therapy. I think it would be useful for you to see a physican who has lots of HIV experience and get these very useful tests. Then you can make a better decision about whether you need to start or can wait another 13 years.

MH

Previous
ARS during PEP
Next
Please Help:17-month old maybe HIV+

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.