For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Can infection be totally silent.

Can you become infected with HIV without having the flulike illness that I have always read occurs soon after infection? I've read that is the body's initial attempt to mount a response to the virus, so wouldn't this always occur? I haven't had anything like the flu since I was 15 and I am now 40, so wouldn't it be unlikely. Trying to convince myself. Thanks for the help.

Most people who present acutely, have some kind of symptoms, which are very variable between people. However, as time goes by, those that are discovered to be positive later, in most cases cannot remember any symptoms or illness. MH

BDNA Testing
Retroviral drugs and HIV testing?