HIV STUDY

Dear Doctor,

You stated that in the acute infection study you were involved in, all patients whom you knew the exact time of exposure seroconverted within 3 months. Since this is a hot top, I think many of your readers including myself would like to know more about this study. How many subjects were involved? How many men and how many women? Did type of exposure play a roll in the length of time it took to seroconvert? How long did the longest seroconverter take to become seropositive? How many days is considered 3 months? I tested negative on Elisa at 108 days. Is that considered 3 months or four months? Thanks in advance!

I refer you to the study by Niu M, et al in the Journal of Infectious Diseases, July 1998 issue. Your test would be in the fourth month. MH

Seroconversion and Age
Night Sweat and Duration