Initial Viral load

My best friend just tested positive for HIV and his T-Cell count is just over 200 and his viral load was at 70. I was told a while back by friends that this is usual due to the initial shock to the body. I was also told that he should bounce back up and down for a while before stabilizing with drug therapy. How much of this is true?

When you say just tested positive, does that mean he is just recently infected (within the last 6 months), or this is the first time he was tested and in fact he could have been infected for several years. The answer to your question will be affected by the time of infection. MH

ARS?
Testing cycle during ARS