Where to get tested using qualitative DNA PCR

Hi, Dr. Holodniy.

I am interested in getting a qualitative DNA PCR test performed at 4 weeks from exposure (August 17). My family physician doesn't think I need the test - he says I should wait until 3 months and get the antibody (ELISA) test. The local, free AIDS clinic only gives the ELISA test.

How can I have the DNA PCR test performed? Who should I call in my area (Denver, Colorado) in order to get the test performed? I could wait until 12 weeks have passed, but I would prefer to know about my status sooner, as the anxiety is driving me crazy. I don't mind paying for the DNA PCR test out of pocket if it will give me some peace of mind. At four weeks, you have indicatd that the DNA PCR test is quite accurate. I intend to follow it up with an ELISA test at 12 weeks as well. Thanks in advance.

- Anxious in Denver

There are many national commercial labs that offer this test. The AIDS clinic should be able to tell you. MH

Question
PCR VIRAL LOAD TEST