Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried you have hiv??read this!!!
Aug 9, 1999

First off, thanks to Dr. Holodniy, your responses to us "worried well" folk are just as important as to those who are truly infected. If there's one thing that's almost worse than HIV it's thinking you have it when you dont. I woke up with oral hairy luekoplakia 4 months ago, i was tested and the result was negative. It doesn't help when you read in your textbooks (and I'm a nurse) that this condition is DEFINITIVE of HIV. Then the next week I got sick, couldn't eat, and had fever and diarrhea which has improved but still comes and goes. Also vaginal and oral yeast infections, weird rashes, I could go on and on. I had to take a leave of abscence from work I was so distraught, I could barely bathe my 5 yr old daughter because if I saw one wierd bump on her, I freaked out. Subsequently, after many tests and a visit to an immunologist was diagnosed with mucocutaneous candidiasis, my t-cells did not respond to yeast, he could not explain the leukoplakia or GI symptoms. I also had relations 8 yrs ago with a guy who had lived in Africa so then I was sure it was type O. I had pcr's and even a viral culture. Finally, I arranged to have my blood tested for type O and even type N at a research lab. Everything was negative!!!! Guess what? Part of me still worries it's HIV despite all the evidence. So now I must believe I am truly negative or have an entirely undiscovered type of HIV (chances are better I'd be hit by lightning on a sunny day, huh?) The moral to my story? Please try and believe your negative tests. I am living proof that you can have very weird symptoms and test negative to every known type of HIV. Also, a word about cd4 counts, I had several done and they ranged from 437 to 970 within a 4 month span. My heart goes out to everyone who is in this position, but try and have faith, Thanks again Dr, I hope I won't have to bug you anymore....*smile*

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Posted. MH

Previous
never coming back here
Next
PLEASE, PLEASE POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.