Information requested on Red - Dot Test for HIV 1 & 2
Aug 4, 2001
Dear Doctor, I am seeking some information on a HIV test called Red Dot HIV 1 & 2 . It is a rapid room temperature test for HIV 1 & 2 antibodies . It is manufactured by Cal Test Diagnostics, Chino , California. The brochure also mentions Gold Colloidal conjugate membrane for HIV 1 & 2 antibodies and that it is a screening test.
This is not an academic query I write from a place where being HIV positive has very, very serious consequences and most secret tests are performed using the above HIV test.
My specific queries are:
1. As per my doctor, there has been one instance when this test repeatedly showed a mild reactivity but ELISA on the same serum came back negative. So is this test more sensitive than ELISA ?
2. If not, from your experience, can you offer any explanation / information about this tests reliability or this kind of occurrence ?
3. I do not live in USA and despite my all attempts ( searching the WEB, talking to the local suppliers , etc ) , I am unable to find contact details of the firm ( Cal Test Diagnostics, Chino, California ) that makes these tests. Even their brochures does not have any contact details! You are from USA would you have any idea of their contact details ( their phone number for International callers ) ? I and my doctor need to contact them to have a better understanding of this test .
I am sure you can understand the frustration and tension when a person has mild reactivity on Red Dot test , then the same serum tests negative on ELISA then to resolve this , one ends up doing a western blot ( on same serum ) which ends up being indeterminate.
Response from Dr. Holodniy
The company had been sent a warning letter from the US FDA about the performance of this assay. Buyer beware as to the validity of the results.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Flu Symptoms A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Blood In Urine After Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Testicles After Touching Open Wound Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Rectal Bleeding After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Can You Get Std If You And Your Partner Are Virgin And Have Oral Sex?
- Can You Get Hepatitis C From Vomit?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.