For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Swollen Lymph Nodes

I keep reading and hearing about swollen lymph nodes as a SIGN of HIV infection, but I'm confused.

Is swollen lymph nodes a sign during initial infection, ARS and SeroConversion??? Where is one most likely to find them (behind the ears, on the back of the neck, on the front of the neck, where under the armpits and where in the groin???)

Is it common for the lymph nodes to grow and then become smaller, then grow again??? Are they painful if touched, or if when leaning against something they are depressed??? Is it common for many to be swollen, or is it common for just a few (in the neck, but not the arm pits or the groin for example???)

Please respond or point me in the right direction.

Swelling of lymph nodes is a nonspecific sign of inflammation (due to cancers or other reasons) or infection. Lymph nodes occur all over the body. In HIV infection, many areas that you listed will have swollen glands. This can occur in acute infection and throughout the course of HIV disease.

HIV inside cooked food