|Low CD4+ and high viral load
Aug 12, 1999
Dear Doctor, I found out last week to hiv pos. My CD4+ is 27 and the viral load is 190.000 and I am already on therapy. I was probably infected 4 months ago. How bad is the situation?
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
It would be unlikely you were infected 4 months ago with an absolute CD4 count of 27. Are you sure you are not looking at the percentage of CD4 cells? If the absolute number is truly 27, the infection took place some years ago, and you by definition have AIDS. A viral load of 190,000/ml is not in and of itself that bad. Treatment today will bring that level down to < 50/ml and boost your t cells up.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Itchy Skin A Symptom Of AIDS?
- Sore Throat Worried It Could Be HIV
- Blisters After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
- Blood In Urine After Fisting Worried I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Purple Spots After Vaginal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.